At this afternoon’s opening convocation in Old Cabell Hall Auditorium, Tom Faulders of the Alumni Association announced some pretty astounding numbers:
- This is the highest percentage participation in Reunions. Ever.
- This is the greatest number of attendees. Ever. 4,230 registered as of Friday morning. (Tom expects the final number will be greater.)
- 996 volunteers helped with the arrangements, the highest number. Ever.
- As of Friday morning, registrations were up 28 percent over last year.
- 12 percent of all classes are attending: 2,522 alumni.
- So far, these reunion classes have made $23.5 million in gifts. (You have until June 30, by the way.) The class of ’79 got the awards for the largest total ($10 million) and the greatest percentage of participation
During his welcoming remarks, President Casteen noted that — despite the recession — the $3 billion capital campaign has reached 64 percent of goal with 66 percent of the time elapsed. Only about two weeks behind schedule, he said.
He highlighted several initiatives that are proceeding, despite tighter budgets: the Jefferson Public Citizens track, the Batten School of Leadership and Public Policy, and recently announced Arts Awards.
Casteen also noted the growth in the AccessUVA program. total need-based aid for undergrads has gone from $37 million in 2003-2004 to $59 million this year. And, the president added, in a tough economy, education is even more important.