Ever since Hurricane Katrina devastated the Gulf Coast in 2005, the jazz staff at WTJU (91.1 FM — U.Va.’s community radio station) has devoted the last week in August to all things New Orleans. This year’s commemoration is running through Sept. 2.
Some of the highlights:
- a showcase of New Orleans piano professors on “The Jazz Messenger”
- an investigative exploration into the music of The Meter Men on “Anything Goes”
- Jon Lohman, Virginia State Folklorist and Program Director of the Virginia Folklife Program and the Folklife Festival, visits “Left of Cool”
- the legacy of Dave Batholomew, inventor of the ‘Big Beat’, on “Living Time”
- Red Stick Ramblers guitarist and vocalist Chas Justus will guest host “Folk & Beyond“
- Central Virginia’s own Cajun band, Bayou Faux Pas, performing live on “Folk and Beyond“
- the songs and influences of Irma Thomas on “Live Wire”
Find more information here. And as Jazz Director David Eisenman is fond of saying: “Red beans and ricely yours…”
Please make sure to keep your comments respectful and free from abusive language or personal attacks. Comments will not appear until approved by site moderator. Thank you for reading the blog and we encourage all users to interact with the blog by posting comments and feedback.