One Billion Rising is an international movement in more than 190 countries demanding an end to violence against women. The big day is Feb. 14, but at the University of Virginia, events are being held on Grounds every day this week in support of the effort, thanks to the U.Va. Women’s Center and Spectrum Theatre, a U.Va. student-run theater organization. (Check out the Facebook page for details.)
Tonight’s topic is the problem of human trafficking, depicted in the documentary, “Very Young Girls,” being screened at 7 p.m. in the Runk Dining Halll’s Green Room.
On Wednesday night, retired U.Va. professor Angela Davis will talk about date and acquaintance rape as seen through the lens of Ntozake Shange’s play, “For Colored Girls Who have Considered Suicide When the Rainbow is Enuf,” at 6 p.m., also in the Runk Green Room. Also Wednesday, Chris Kilmartin, a psychology professor at the University of Mary Washington, will talk about “Guy Fi: The Fictions that Rule Men’s Lives” at 7 p.m. in Minor Hall, room 124.
On Thursday, Newcomb Ballroom will be the site of music, dancing, artwork, self-defense lessons, a resource fair, speakers and free food from 11 a.m. to 6 p.m. At about 1:30 p.m., everyone will start learning the “official” One Billion Rising dance to prepare for a “flash mob” at 2:14 pm.
The events are free and open to the public, except for the play, “The Vagina Monologues,” which Spectrum Theatre will perform Friday through Sunday at 8 p.m. in the Chemistry Building auditorium.
“The Vagina Monologues” is an award-winning play by activist Eve Ensler, based on interviews she conducted with hundreds of women. These performances range from hilarious to heartbreaking, representing the full spectrum of women’s experiences.
All money from the show goes to charity: 90 percent of the funds will go to the White Ribbon Campaign, a student organization whose two main goals are to raise funds for the Women’s Center and to raise awareness about domestic violence, and the other 10 percent will go to the V-Day fund, a charity committed to ending domestic and sexual violence all over the globe. Tickets are $5 and will be available for pre-sale on the Lawn and at the door.
See the calendar for the complete schedule.
Please make sure to keep your comments respectful and free from abusive language or personal attacks. Comments will not appear until approved by site moderator. Thank you for reading the blog and we encourage all users to interact with the blog by posting comments and feedback.